The first four pictures(1,2,3,4), show the original bathroom, which will receive a real-life makeover™. Not being the proprietors of the appartment the makeover will have to achive a balance between quality and frugality. To minimize costs the original walls and tiles, which are in good condition will be saved and, tiled over, instead of torn down.
After removing the medicine cabinet, counter-top, heater, moldings and doors, we decided to replace the original razor outlet with an electrirical outlet with a saftey breaker and move it inside the cabinet, (Picture,5). Using a drywall saw Picture,6), the original medicine cabinet
cut out was enlarged to accomidate the new larger cabinet. Highly recomended that if you decide to build your own medicine cabinet, or purchase a new one, make sure at least one shelve has enough clearence to allow for a tooth brush in its stand.
Click here for the medicine cabinet real life makeover™. The original tile was then lightly sanded and throughly cleaned with a heavy duty cleaner. Then the vanity was cleaned, primed/painted, a middle shelve added, and both shelves covered with covering from Ikea, (Picture,7). The music speaker wires were also run around the door frame, behind the tile and under/around the counter, (Picture,7,8), so later speakers maybe added to the bathroom.
The tiling was completed using adhisive starting from the bottom up. Make sure the first row of tile is straight, errors will get magmified as the works progresses.(There could be exceptions when the first row of tile may not be perfectly straight, this is fine, if done intenssionaly.) Make sure the proper adhisive for tile on tile, not tile on wall /floor is used.
The counter top came from an old Ikea table top that was trimmed to measure using a circular
saw,(Picture,9). A jigsaw and drill were used for the sink cutout, which we then turned into a cutting board. Once the top was properly trimmed, the underside received two coats of stain/ protection. The topside also received two coats of stain/protection, followed by a light sanding (220 sandpaper), before appling a third coat,(Picture,9). We highly recomended to lightly sand after the second and before any thrid coat of stain or paint. The top was then secured to the vanity, (Picture,10) and the tileover completed.
Once the tiles are firmly set. Using a grout filler begin filling in the spaces between the tiles. When mixing the filler add water a small amout at a time until the filler achives the
consistiensy of wet dough. Apply the filler a small area at a time and wipe off the excess filler imidiately, before moving on to the next area. Once the tilling is all completed wash all residu off. Then the walls were painted using a kitchen/bathroom paint, and the newly built medicine
cabinet securly screewed into the cut out on the wall.
This being the only bathroom in th apartment, the hardware was placed as soon as possible.
The towel rack, toilet paper holder, ethermastat, light switches, sink and facet were updatd
and greatly added to the final look. Their total cost for the hardware was just over $110.
The quality of the fixtures greatly determin the finished look of any makeover, therefore
always purchase wisely but try to purchase the best quality you can afford. For an example of the importance of hardware, see how changing an inexpensive handle on a toilet, completely upgrades the look, click here.